Day one of potty training, and I’m relived I only had to deal with a few child-like grownups in the office and not an unpredictable toddler wearing pants for the first time in her life.
Over all it was a success. A quick first top three lessons learnt on the first day:
- When you’ve spent your whole life wearing a nappy, switching to a comfy pair of pants is actually quite weird for a toddler.
- When they finally perform on cue in the potty, making a literal song and dance is fun, we spent about 15 minutes jumping and dancing round the room celebrating, to the extent that I was worried she’d wee again with giggles and excitement.
- Wipe clean floors really come into their own when there’s the constant risk of wee.
- You can’t have too much kitchen roll and floor wipes to hand.
- Roll up the rugs you have on your wooden or tiled floor – make the most of that wipe clean surface.
The day finished with a respectable wee in the potty while watch “Zoo lane” and a grump about putting a nappy on for bed time. Let’s see what tomorrow brings…
Our key worker at nursery has suggested it’s time and my head is filled with two very different thoughts:
- She’s doesn’t seem to have been a baby for very long, she’s growing up so fast!
- Oh my god, there’s going to be piss and shit everywhere for weeks, how quickly is it possible to learn?!
It really does feel like a big step to her own “self sufficiency”. With every step, even at this tiny age, living grows and so does the fear if the inevitable “letting them go”.
They really do grow up very fast!